Started out for a class, now its a place to talk about anything i feel like.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

More adventures in Second Life and Vizrt

It feels like a while since i've been talking face to face with classmates, so regrettably I have a lot to say...

I feel lucky because work and class have seemingly run parallel this semester. I've been on a "special topics" run where Second Life and Vizrt's Green Screen visual studio have occupied my last week and a half before the holiday of course.

On Friday, November 19th I attended the Federal Consortium on Virtual Worlds. It was an inlife and in real life meeting held in DC. We utilized the NOAA's space and their beautiful island to listen to governmental agencies collaborate on advances and usage of virtual worlds. I have some neat screen grabs from the event that I will post and met some people involved with the CDC, dept. of Agriculture, and the DoD. Amazingly, the DoD was very up on secondlife. Their avatar was pretty stylish, not quite what you think of when DoD comes to mind.

Vizrt was an interesting journey to Manhattan last monday and tuesday. I worked out of the NYSE in a virtual studio that is supplied to users of the NYSE (namely media and traders) who can broadcast market news with green screen technology controlling thte background. The easiest way to explain it is the weather person on local news. They use a green screen so in life they are presenting infront of a blue/green screen, but over the air it appears they are in front of a map giving us the cold weather predictions. I don't have any cool pictures, but before xmas, we will have scripted and filmed a movie that advertises LM. Sorry to be short, i'm in the Tampa Airport ready to board a flight...more to come tomorrow :) HOpe everyone had a great turkey day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting!! Do keep us updated.

Cindy J. Lopez said...

I'm so jealous! You seem to work on the neatess project..but the again...you do work for Lockheed Martin. :) Its pretty cool to know that the DoD is stylish too!

Day 1 in Second Life

Technically, this isn't Day 1 since i've used Second Life before. For the purposes of IN SC 539, however this is Day 1. My Avatar, "ilike kungfu" took her maiden journey into Second Life. I, or rather ilike, embarked on a mission to complete all the tutorials, learning how to chat, use inventory, fly, and move. Initially, I presumed this would be a quick trip, however I ran across someone who wanted to chat, Recon2 (last name protected). Recon2 had been here before as a different avatar. Clad in a Birthday hat and carrying an Ax, I didn't believe Recon2 was a "friendly" avatar, but i was mistaken. He (I'm presuming the person behind the avatar is a male) took me on a hike though orientation island, meeting all the gods. Insightful indeed, leaving second life for the "first" time was hard, no idea what Day 2 and beyond has in store for me!